Thursday, August 28, 2008

Southern Rock for the Indie Rock Set

I was introduced to Delta Spirit by the Redhead. She had heard a few songs of theirs and when they opened for Matt Costa she wanted to check them out. I like live music, so I obliged.

They were so good live! We didn't stick around for Costa, but I can't imagine he was able to match their energy on stage. Costa is a Beatles wannabe, whereas Delta Spirit are more of an indie rock Lynyrd Skynyrd. (I know, it sounds pretty fantastic, doesn't it?) Their Wikipedia entry says they're "a hybrid of rock and northern soul," but don't you believe it. Even the band's name contradicts that. Delta Spirit is clearly a throw back to the old delta blues of North Western Mississippi.

Unfortunately, that live energy is lost, for the most part, on their new album Ode To Sunshine. The real standout on this album is "Trashcan," a piano laced bar jam that hearkens back to such masterpieces as Jerry Lee Lewis' "Great Balls Of Fire" or anything from Billy Joel that had balls. These guys are gritty, dirty and lost in that vast dead space between genres. They aren't an indie band, and they aren't southern rock, they are (to their detriment, perhaps) both.

I have a hard time speaking poorly about this band or this album, though, because I really do think you should give it at least one listen.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: