Tuesday, May 20, 2008

dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip Angels

Usually I wait, sometimes too long, to review an album so that I can be in depth, detailed, and give you a good grasp of what is really going on, or at least my interpretation of what is going on, with a particular album.

Sometimes what I usually do just doesn't fit.

Enter dan le sac vs. Scroobius Pip. These Limeys (what's the plural for Limey?) are sensations in the Mother Land, but little known this side of the ole pond. You've seen me gush about these guys before, and now that the album is out, I'm here to gush some more.

Included on this are their two bigger singles, "Thou Shalt Always Kill" and "The Beat That My Heart Skipped" as well as some other really amazing songs. "A Letter From God To Man" is just that, and Scroobius deftly maneuvers the divisive issue with an aptitude that is both surprising and refreshing. "Angels," the title track, is a narrative from several view points that wraps around itself and is such a great, heavy story. "Fixed" calls out pretty much all of hip hop for not using their heads and their hearts to make good music, as opposed to pop music. Called out by name is Dizzee Rascal. I think they aren't friends any more. There's also "Development" where Scroobius raps the periodic table for a bit, and "Tommy C" about Tommy Cooper, a magician that died on stage to thunderous applause.

While Scroobius Pip is a talented word-smith, dan le sac is a master at production. His work is very rock based but totally danceable. I must say that I do loves it.

You will probably loves it, too.

Check 'em out on MySpace, Facebook.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: