Thursday, May 8, 2008

Overdue: My favorite album of the year so far....



There was a lot of hype about Bon Iver by some of my favorite music critics. I ignored their strong taking to him. Alas, I was taken by the video for The Wolves (Act I and II) on Stereogum. The song intrigued me to check out the full album, For Emma Forever Ago. I love when a man playing his guitar somehow sounds like something that hasn't been done for centuries. Of course his quiet raspy vocals did place him in a category with others, but something about the yearning in each song seemed so real. Moral of that story, listen to my mentors sooner.

I immediately fell in love with several songs on the album. 'Skinny Love' became a constant play and even part of a running mix. Not too many mellow songs make it onto my running playlists, but this song just zones me out and all I can hear is Justin Vernon's voice and my feet on the pavement. 'Creature Fear' has the best line on the album "I was teased by your blouse/Spit out by your mouth" almost making a joke of the rejection. I love the climactic drums on this one that transition into the instrumental 'Team'. The melancholy 'For Emma' gives you a sense of closure. "Go find another lover to bring a /To string along" backed with horns that almost taunt the listener. This song marks the undertone of the album for me, although he's clearly discontent he's made peace with certain things.The closing song 'Re:Stacks' plucks at my heart strings crooning "Your love will be safe with me."

Stereogum posted a blog Mammas, Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Indie Rockers, and this passage from Justin's mom is what prompted me to finally let people know what album has made me at ease lately. Why do mom's always know?

Justine Vernon, mother of Justin Vernon
My favorite song is "Re:Stacks," the last one on the record. I think it is a very beautiful song and I love the emotion in it. I especially like the part, "there's a black crow sitting across from me, his wiry legs are crossed, he's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss; whatever could it be that has brought me to this loss." Even though there is sadness here, I think this song is more about hope, "it's the sound of the unlocking and lift away, your love will be safe with me." To me, it is not about getting over things and moving forward, it is about going through the sadness, taking some of it with you and being made whole because of it. I cry every time I listen to it.

Here's a slowed down version of 'Flume' live:



And a SXSW performance of 'Skinny Love':



Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

LJ said...

Good lookin' out, Ms. Woman. This is one hell of an album.