Monday, April 7, 2008

Preme: The Kooks - Konk

The new album from the Kooks is due out on tax day, but I got my grubby little hands on it a bit early, and while it is a pretty good collection of songs, it doesn't quite live up to the first album. Konk, named after the studio it was recorded in, just doesn't have the pop-appeal or catchiness of Inside In/Inside Out. What it does have is a heaviness not found on their first album. This is a good album, but it's the followup to a great album.

If you're a big fan of the Kooks, you'll likely enjoy this album, too. The single "Always Where I Need To Be" has been blowing up on Alternative radio. Which is more than you can say for any of their singles from the first album. This band was a sensation in Europe, they had 6 hit singles on the BBC and a total of zero in the US. They seem poised to raise that number to at least one with this album.

The music itself covers a larger breadth than the last album. They have a couple pop gems ("See The Sun," "Always Where I Need To Be"), there's a very bluesy tune ("Mr. Maker"), one of their hardest songs ("Do You Wanna") and that's before you get to track five. I have a feeling that the more I listen to this album, the more I'll like it (especially the steel guitar that seems to be everywhere), but I fell in love with Inside on the first listen.


Grant.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

zombielu said...

when this album hits and you dont send it to me, we are no longer friends. new KOOOOOOKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!