Monday, April 7, 2008

Sure. Rocks Friends!


Ludo – You’re Awful, I Love You

If you’re in the mood for the next nerdy-pop punk band who isn’t Fall Out Boy, give a listen to Ludo’s new album, recently released in February and their first on a major label (Island). I stumbled upon them while listening to Live 105 online, spinning the first single “Love Me Dead,” an ode to that girlfriend who is high maintenance and a total wreck, but hot and irresistible at the same time. It’s like the duality of man, you know, the Jungian thing. It boils down to – she’s evil and hateful, but she still lets me put my penis in her vagina, so it’s kinda like breaking even. From the second verse:

“You're a faith-healer on T.V.
You're an office park without any trees
Corporate and cold
Gushing for gold
Leave me alone.
You suck so passionately
You're a parasitic, psycho, filthy creature
finger-bangin' my heart
You call me up drunk
Does the fun ever start?
You're hideous and sexy!”

You get the idea.

Musically, this is pure Top-40 with a little meat for the Alternative audience, too. They’ve got some driving guitar mixed up with a cutesy little Moog synth, which makes for a pretty good blend here. Most of the tracks on this record are of the storytelling variety, the aforementioned “Love Me Dead,” “Go-Getter Greg” details trying to help the girl next door move in, while taking advantage of the opportunity to ask her out. (I've narrowed down the field/And I'm taking a glance/And I'd say you've got a pretty good chance/To be my girlfriend.) Also, there’s “Lake Ponchartrain,” detailing a strange encounter down on the bayou. This is what can best be described as a playful band, dressing up in Rivers Cuomo preppy fashion for gigs (Sidebar – Weezer’s new self-titled record, “The Red Album” is due out in June. This makes me happy.) but still cranking it up to eleven.

Ludo is by no means my new favorite band, but they are my favorite band named after a Muppet. Tune in next time for: The Airborne Toxic Event
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: