Thursday, April 3, 2008

Video: The Raconteurs "Salute Your Solution"

Let me just start by saying that I really dig this song. Like, a lot. However, I don't understand why it's a Raconteurs song.

I expect the Raconteurs to sound different than the White Stripes. Their debut, Broken Boy Soldiers, was a very classic rock sounding album. That's what I want from the Raconteurs. This new album, Consolers of the Lonely, is a great album that shows the band progressing as a unit. But this particular song would be better served, in my opinion, by being on a White Stripes album. It would have fit really well on Icky Thump, and I'm sure would fit well on whatever the Stripes put out next.

Anyway, enough bitching. This video is shot in black and white, and is entirely start-stop photography. Which is a form of video that I actually really dig. This is a manic song, and the footage matches the general feeling of the song: Manic.


If you like that song, you're likely a fan of the White Stripes. But this isn't a Stripes song. You can find it on the new Raconteurs album Consolers of the Lonely, in stores now.



Grant.
Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

hockeytemper said...

Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. That's what I was afraid of when the Raconteurs came out with Broken Boy Soldiers, because Jack White really only has one style - screaming the lyrics combined with staticky and distorted licks. I would say that Hands and Intimate Secretary best fit the White Stripishness of the Rac's. This always happens with side projects or new bands, Blink182/Angels and Airwaves comes to mind almost immediately. But the difference here is I can get everything I love about White Stripes without Yoko...er Meg's vocals. Kinda like how Audioslave is everything I love about Rage Against the Machine without all the Commie bullshit.
Great video, though. The stop-photo technique really compliments the frantic pace of the song.

zombielu said...

did stephen say COMMIE BULLSHIT in ref to RATM???? holy hell, thats it, youre done here spaghetti eater. commies are welcome in our little circle of rock snobs and better yet, its encouraged due to the AMAZING-NESS of bands like RAGE and PROPAGHANDI!!!! viva communism

zombielu said...

oh and about the song/ vid...its good shit. makes me a little dizzy, not going to lie..but drummers who stand up and play make me happy (read: the black keys) im going to agree(shocking) with grant though, it is very stripsy, stripesish? stripetastic? but, im not even mad at that, being that i love the stripes. i wouldve highlighted that bass line a little more...